Teacher of English
This is an outstanding school. Teachers have high expectations of their students, who respond by producing excellent work.’
OFSTED, June 2015
‘The behaviour of students is outstanding. They are exceptionally keen to learn, and show real enthusiasm in lessons.’
OFSTED, June 2015
Do you want to be part of a team where you will help make a lasting impact on our students, many of whom are disadvantaged, and rapidly accelerate their progress?
Do you want to work in a school where you are free to teach, with impeccable student behaviour and unhindered by bureaucracy?
This is an excellent opportunity for an NQT.
Despite being a ‘secondary modern’ in a selective grammar school borough, our mind-set is that we are a ‘grammar school for all’. We are unapologetically ambitious for every child, no matter what their background, prior attainment or needs. Our mission is to prepare every student to be able to go to university or high-powered alternative. We believe in the traditional values of hard work and kindness.
We believe in teaching powerful knowledge, ’the best that has been thought and said’. We believe in an ‘entitlement curriculum’ for all, that ‘Knowledge is Power’, with an underpinning philosophy that ‘education for all should confer the benefits associated with education for the rich.’
Our Academy is a vibrant and exciting place to work and was graded as outstanding in all areas by Ofsted in June 2015. In 2018, Magna achieved a Progress 8 score of 1.04, placing us 38th nationally (Top 1%).
We believe that we are starting to do something for our pupils that is really special. However, we know that our results, whilst ground-breaking, are not yet enough to achieve the vision that we have for our academy: for all pupils to ‘climb their personal mountain to university or aspirational alternative.’ Addressing this, is the exciting next stage of our journey.
We value our staff highly, and treat workload very seriously. Our systems ensure you can really focus on your core purpose – teaching, in a sustainable way, unhindered by bureaucracy or poor behaviour.
What we offer:
- Great students who behave impeccably – you can make a massive difference to them.
- Tight, robust ‘no-excuses’ behaviour systems.
- Highly visible/supportive senior leaders who have your back.
- Same-day centralised detentions, including homework detentions (you do not need to organise/run/chase them at all), helping to underpin impeccable behaviour, so you are free to teach.
- A feedback policy focused on whole class feedback – we do not have onerous/impossible marking policies.
- A centralised homework system at KS3 – you do not need to check/mark KS3 homework.
- No formal graded lesson observations – just ongoing ‘no-stakes’ feedback, helping you to continuously develop – we believe that trusting our staff with autonomy helps to develop a strong staff culture.
- Collaborative planning with centralised, shared units of work and resources.
- CPD starts as soon as you are appointed.
- Excellent ongoing CPD, career development and promotion opportunities.
- A professional progression model to enable great teachers to remain in the classroom via our Lead Practitioner (LP) and Specialist Leaders of Education (SLE) routes.
- State of the art facilities and a very pleasant location in beautiful Dorset.
You will have excellent progression opportunities to become an SLE and/Assistant Principal as the Academy, National Teaching School, National Support School and MAT continue to grow.Magna Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. The successful candidate will be subject to an enhanced DBS check before taking up the post.
About Magna Academy Poole
Magna Academy is an ‘Outstanding’ Academy (Ofsted: June 2015). Benefiting from a £14 million new building, a £1.3 million IT system, wonderful sport facilities, and with students eager to learn, the potential for Magna Academy Poole is limitless. The 2014/15 academic year was an incredibly successful one, and included a grading of outstanding in all areas from Ofsted, a visit from the Prime Minister, and now our best ever GCSE results. Places are still available in some year groups at this exciting and innovative new Academy.
Secondary education is a gateway to the opportunities and benefits of economic and social development. Demand and competition for higher-level education is growing dramatically as more countries develop effective education systems. Young people need to leave school with the 21st Century skills and qualifications needed to compete with the best in the world, as well as having the self-confidence and aspirations needed to succeed.